Tuesday 26 January 2016

Tuesday, 26 January 2016 Tuesday's assignment

Task 1:

Read the following adjectives for emotions and identify which words describe a positive, neutral or negative feeling. Write down (p) next to the word to mean positive, (n) to mean neutral, and (na) to mean negative. If necessary, look up unfamiliar words in a dictionary. Some words may fit into more than one category.

Ambivalent (N)
ambivalence
Discouraged(NA)
discouragement
Overwhelmed (N)
annoyed (NA)

Embarrassed(NA)
embarrassment
Regretful(NA)
regression
Anxious(NA)
anxiety
Enthusiastic(P)
 enthusiasm
Relieved(P)
relief
Apprehensive(NA)
apprehension
Frustrated(NA)
frustration
Shocked(NA)
shock
Concerned(N)
concern
Furious(NA)

Thrilled(P)
thrill
Content(P) (NOUN)

Grateful(P)
grate
Uneasy(N)
Defensive(N)(NOUN)
defense
Grieving(NA)
grief
Vulnerable(NA)
vulnerability
Determined(N)
determination
Miserable(NA)
miserableness
Wary(P)

Disappointed(NA)
Disappointment
Optimistic(P)
optimism
upset(NA)(noun)

Task 2:

The list above contains adjectives to describe emotions. Where possible, change them into nouns.



Task 3: 
  
Choose five of the emotions from the list above. For each emotion, describe a situation you have experienced that made you feel this way.


I was optimistic after I graduated from university and got my MA. I thought it was easy to find a job in my field. After having a few of interviews, I felt frustrated. The institutions and museums were more likely to recruit men instead of women, because the field excavation is a hard and tough job. I had to change my job objective. If the job related to my major, I can accept it. One day, a high school HR contacted me. They were looking for a history teacher who had history and archaeology background. I was ambivalent about this job. On the one hand, I found a job can support me. But on the other hand, I didn't want to be a teacher. Finally, I was determined to choose the former. When I was hired, I didn't feel disappointed but a little thrilled. 











2 comments: