Wednesday 20 January 2016

Wednesday's assignment

Dealing with Culture Shock



Task 1:


Write a two-three paragraph essay describing your experience with culture shock, then list the ways you have personally done or will do or overcome it. Try to answer these questions:
  1. Did you know about culture shock before?
  2. How did you feel about reading on that topic?
  3. Was learning about culture shock in class helpful for you?



Task 2:
Write an email to a friend here advising him/her on how to move on from Stage Two to Stage Three. List all the suggestions or recommendation you can propose to them.


Task 1:
Today, we learned culture shock. I even thought this article was written for me. It expressed what I went through.
When I decided to come Canada with my husband, I realized we would confront many challenges. I lost my job and left my parents and my friends. But when I came to here, the difficulties are beyond my imagination. I got very severe homesick. I can't endure fast foods. I can't speak to anybody except my husband because I have no friend here and my English is bad. I felt hopeless. I wanted to go back. But my husband was here, I had to stay with him. I should face the reality. I made a plan for myself. First of all, I must conquer the language. I applied for LINC School. I met a good teacher and made friends in the class. They shared their experience in Canada. People have the same background and the similar problem as me. They told me how they deal with these difficulties. I learned a lot. I don't like complaining, but  talking with my close friend occasionally is a good idea. Don't do that all the time. 
I like my major though I can't make a living on it. I feel very happy when I'm staring at these culture relics. So I will go to museum when I'm upset. I have already been to more than 10 museums in Toronto
Now, I begin to accept and want to fit in this country. I'd like to go to college and learn what I'm fond of. 
 Task 2:
 Dear Hui:
We talked about culture shock today. I know I'm in stage 3 now. You wonder how I move on stage 2 to stage 3, don't you? I will give you some advice including my classmates' experiences.
 First, make you busy. Learning something or reading book is a good choice. I borrow many children books from a library. 
Second, make friends. Don't stay at home. Go to community centre or go to LINC schools. You can meet some immigrants who have the same background to you. Talking with them, you will get lots of information
Third, do what you want to do.
Fourth, focus on the good thing. Don't always complain and depend on yourself. Open your mind  to look for the positive aspect.
If all these suggestions can't work, be pregnant. Then you find, it's no longer enough only 24 hours in a day.

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jane, this is great. But, "advice" can't be plural and "people have the same background as you."

    ReplyDelete